Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Harper Goes to School

Harper has her first day of school tomorrow. Now when I say school, I'm actually referring to Parent Morning Out, or as all the moms call it, PMO. The conversation about PMO came up last winter during my MOPS group, when the abbreviation was thrown around lightly like this term PMO was common knowledge. Of course I had no clue what it was, and the moms in my group told me it was a three-hour "preschool", where you could drop your child off one, two, three, or four mornings during the week. Michael and I talked about it, and thought it would be a good thing for Harper to attend once a week. That way, she could socialize with some other children her age and get comfortable with adults other than mommy. Plus, we knew Ellie would join our family in May, and it would be much easier for me to have a morning with just one kid to try to get errands done. 


Fast forward to August 18th, Harper's second birthday, and we attended a play date on the playground where she will attend PMO to meet her teachers and other kids in her class. The teachers all have had experience in a classroom, they all were very sweet, and they are all moms (which helps knowing they have all experienced toddler life). They took the time to get to know us and tell us what Harper's day will be like. She will go in, wash her hands, play, have a snack, do a craft, play on the playground, maybe hear a story or two, and play some more until she gets picked up. Before we left, we made sure to walk inside to see the classroom, and Harper didn't want to leave! There were toys everywhere, which is quite the upgrade from our house, where she does have toys, but mainly sticks to playing with the recycling. 

Now, it's the night before her first day, and here come ALL THE FEELS. 

I'm excited for her-SHE'S excited for "school" (which sounds more like 'cool' when she says it) and can't wait to play with "kids!" I'm excited for her to have new experiences without me, and at the same time, it's a weird feeling knowing she will experience and learn new things without me and I won't be there to guide her and teach her. 

I'm nervous-will she cry? Will she listen to the teachers? Will she follow directions? Will she play nice with the other kids? Will the teachers be able to understand what she's trying to say? Will she poop, and then embarrass us by telling them she has a "big dump" (daddy taught her to say that over the weekend-it is funny how her cute little 2 year old voice says it, and I do love my husband, but really honey?)

I'm terrified-for two years, her and I have been attached to the hip. We have only had family members watch her, and typically not for longer than 2 hours. Now at MOPS, she does go downstairs to the nursery, but I'm still there, just upstairs, and can tend to her if she needs me. This time, we will be dropping her off and trusting three adults to care for and be completely responsible for our little girl (I'm actually tearing up as I type this). Is she ready to be on her own? Am I ready for her to be on her own? 

I'm OK-with my experience as a teacher, I know how teachers look at their students as "my kids", and you love and care for them as if they were your own. I know they will do their best to teach Harper how to share, how to get along with other kids, and how to listen to and respect adults other than mom and dad. 

I'm comforted-knowing Harper has a very special guardian angel, Grandma Jojo (now I'm actually crying typing this) who will continue to watch over our baby girl, even when she isn't with us.  

Harper will have an awesome first day of school, and I will be OK too. 
 






*Update* Before we even made it into the classroom this morning, we could hear kids crying. Harper looked slightly alarmed and grabbed my hand as we walked in the room. I signed her in, put Ellie down, and we went to wash Harper's hands. After we washed and dried her hands, she just walked away and went to play. She had her finger in her mouth as she turned to look at me one last time (she does that when she's nervous), I waved and said bye, and she turned to play. I quickly walked out before either one of us could start crying. I had some plans this morning that kept me busy, but I still thought of her all morning long. Michael even sent me a "How are you?" text, just to check in. He couldn't stop thinking about her all morning either. 

When Ellie and I walked in to pick her up, she was sitting at a table with a teacher and two boys playing with toys. Harper didn't see me or hear the teacher tell me how awesome she was! I had to bend down to get in her line of view, waved, and said, "Hi Harper!".  She looked at me and said, "Hi", and kept playing. I looked at the teacher and said, "Great, I have the kid who doesn't want to leave". We both agreed it was a good thing to have THAT kid, and my heart is full knowing she was fine and seemed to enjoy herself at school!  

No comments:

Post a Comment