Saturday, March 5, 2022

Sports

 We have officially entered the years of parenting when "other kids parents cause drama at YOUR kid's sporting event". And let me tell you what, these are wild times.  Like Wild Wild West wild times.  We are all in this together and then your opponent enters the scene and you aren't quite sure which one will shoot at you first but you have heard the horror stories that someone will shoot first so you know it's coming and even though you are ready, you AREN'T ready.

I signed up to coach Harper and Ellie's basketball rec team this season.  It was truly a blast.  Our last game of the season was postponed due to weather until today.  We played at Eastern Montgomery Elementary.  This is a team we have already played and we won.  I know I have much to learn as a coach and could have handled this somewhat differently, but I still can't get over what was said at the end of the game. 

All of our team was there, but two of the 8 had casts on their wrists, so we had 6 players that could play.  Diem is tall and can rebound and score, and she's mostly why we win games.  She sat the entire second quarter, and we still ended up winning 28-8.  During the 4th quarter, she scored 3 or 4 baskets, and Michael looked at me and said "get her out".  I said to Coach Dionne, my assistant and Diem's mom, Michael said we need to take Diem out.  She said, "oh gosh I was giving Adam a hard time about this at one of his games (Diem's dad) because he didn't take out his best scorer and here I am doing the same thing".  I sent Harper to get her out and end up having to call a time out just to sub her out.  As we were shaking hands after the game, I fist bump their head coach ( a guy), turn to walk back to our bench and hear him mutter under his breath "way to run up the score coach".  I asked Dionne, "did he really just say way to run up the score coach under his breath?" I truly was questioning if I heard it right.  She said she didn't hear it but it wouldn't surprise her one bit because East Mont is like that, for there was an actual fist fight at one of the rec games of her 10 year old son there.  

Could I have taken her out sooner? Yes.  Do I regret not? No, not really.  Why should she lose playing time, after sitting an entire quarter, just because she can score? Michael made me feel much better about it saying, "when you sign up for this, you have to be prepared to get your butt kicked", "maybe you should teach your team how to make a layup", and "he's probably butt hurt he lost to a girl" (LOL I love him).  But he said that Diem shouldn't be penalized, and I agree with him.  

Anyways, this was a stage I knew was coming but I was not at all prepared for it today.  In the words of Meredith Marks, "I'm disengaging" might become my new slogan.  Or Patrick suggested to say in return, "what was the intent of you saying that?"  Dad reminded me he worked in Shawsville for many years, and "it's a rough crowd".  So, here's to many more butt-hurt parents in rec league that I will try to be prepared for.  I really had a fun time coaching our girls and this group, and will grow as a coach and try to not run up the score too high next season :) 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment